Friday, October 20, 2017

Woodcreek Blog #1

17 August 2017

Well, I think this is it.  The time where I actually poop my pants in public.  It couldn’t be at a more inopportune time.  I’m sitting on a park bench just outside of Central Park on 5th Ave and I am in between job interviews.  There is a storm percolating in my innards and it isn’t because of nerves.  No, this is just another unfortunate event that has taken place recently, me getting sick.  My only hope at this point is to make it through the interview without soiling myself.  And I don’t want to be greedy, but I would also like the audible roaring of the angry beast inside to cease so that I do not have to explain myself to my interviewer. 
            I listen to my voicemail from Hessy again as the tears sting my eyes.  I don’t know why I listened to it a second time.  I think I wanted to feel something other than the pain in my stomach, chest, sinuses, head, and soul.  She told me she loved me and to “embrace the suck.”  There has been a fair amount of suck recently, so this statement made me smile.  I put my phone away and start to walk to my interview.  It is then I see a smiling monk in a Dijon-colored robe making a beeline towards me.  THIS is it, my moment of spiritual awakening, my reprieve.  We lock eyes and I smile back.  He places a bracelet around my wrist and hands me a gold card that says, “Work Smoothly, Lifetime Peace.”  In broken English, he asks me to write my name in a book.  In the next column, my desire.  The people in the rows above me asked for peace, which he suggested I ask for as well.  Peace, of course!  Breathe!  Everything will be OK!  When I get to the last column, I have my Ah-Ha moment too late, the donation column.  He suggested $20 dollars.  Sigh.  When I gave him the only 2 dollars I had on me, he harrumphed with frustration and shuffled off.  Is an angry monk still a monk?
            I somehow made it through the interview and they asked me to stay and observe a procedure.  What?  No.  No, no, no, no no.  ::Tummy Rumbles::  But I have to.  I had a conversation with one of the assistants before the procedure about old movies.  It turns out she still watches movies on VHS too and that we should be best friends.  During the procedure, which happened to be an implant placement, Frank Sinatra came on the radio singing, non other than, New York, New York!  I close my eyes for a second as tears start to sting them again.  I’m momentarily brought back to the warmth of my goodbye lunch at Woodcreek, surrounded by loved ones who are there for me when I have a crappy day – pun definitely intended.  I open my eyes and for a moment cannot believe that I am here.  Steps from central park, interviewing with an innovative and world-renowned periodontist, listening to Sinatra.  Go me.  I have overcome obstacles; I have kept going when my body said to stop.  I have fought tears, and I have embraced them.  I have learned that  “If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere.”
            As I’m walking to the train for my 3rd interview of the day, I pass a good-looking boy that hands me a CD.  I’ve been given tons of free CDs in my life.  Chances are I will hate the music, but it’s easier to just take the CD than it is to avoid them.  It didn’t hurt that he said, “Here ya go, beautiful!” as he handed it to me in passing.  He thinks I’m beautiful!  How on earth could he see past my sickness, stress, and lack of sleep to see anything that even remotely resembles beauty??  “Where ya from?” (We’re still walking away from each other) “South Carolina!” I holler back with a proud (flipper) smile.  Then he starts walking back towards me and insists on signing the CD for me.  And then it came, his request for a donation.  Genius work, really.  I applaud him.  I told him I gave my last 2 bucks to an angry monk.  He says, no problem – he accepts cards.  Of course he does.  Sigh.  He wants 10 dollars for an R&B CD.  R&B!!! I don’t even like R&B, I tell him.  I give him 5.  At this rate, I won’t be eating come Christmas. 
            I continue walking and I know I have a ridiculous grin on my face.  I somehow, despite myself, feel good.  I mean, I feel absolutely awful, but I feel good.  I’m grinning because Dr. Hunt’s words come back to me every time I walk in the city, “Don’t look up.”  Words of wisdom, so as not to look like a tourist with a Bullseye on my forehead.  Shout out to my angry monk and R&B boy! 
            I miss my loved ones already, but am excited to take off my training wheels and put on my big-girl britches.  I realize now more than ever that there is opportunity in every nook and cranny of life.  It lies in mistakes, in mishaps, and even in fear.  I learn more about myself and other people everyday.  My brother once told me that my biggest fault was that I think I’m indestructible, fearless.  That isn’t entirely true.  I’m really afraid to walk over subway grates. 

Don’t look up, 

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment